Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dear People of Mandeville

For all who were not at City Hall yesterday, I'd like to share the gist of my initial address in my quest to become interim mayor.

Five months. That doesn't seem like a lot of time in the great scheme of things, does it? More on that in a moment. I first want to establish that I am well acquainted with the mechanics of local government. As a young journalist, I spent many years covering both state and local news, from city hall meetings -- like the one we're having today, to elections -- such as we anticipate here in the spring, to public works projects projects -- ranging from something as enormous as deep tunnel sewers in a large city, to getting a working snow blower in a small town. But in addition to my experience in journalistic and legal matters, I also know a thing or two about children. I not only grew up the oldest girl of 10 of them, but I've also been an educator for nearly 20 years. I have taught children of all economic backgrounds, ethnicities, and capabilities -- both physical and intellectual. One of the local papers reported that "Rukavina's focus seems to be on children." Well, yes it is. Because they comprise a large segment of this community's population. And what all of these children have in common is one thing: They are going to inherit, in a few short years, the vestiges of the mess that this country is in. I want to put a positive spin on that looming challenge. As interim mayor, I intend to light a fire under them -- to get them excited and interested in local government as a living, breathing entity that not only affects them, but which they themselves can positively and profoundly affect, long before they reach voting age. This is not only an important step in their development, but will also serve the rest of us well, as we all become older and they assume more responsibilities and control. I know something else about children, too. They are a lot quicker on the uptake than you or I. They have shown me time and again just how much they can learn in a few short weeks. What I can do with them in just five months as interim mayor could be astounding. On another note, you are all aware that this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and accordingly, I am also doing this for all the women like myself who have to fight this insidious disease -- to urge all of them to dream big. I have already demonstrated that a 48-year-old cancer survivor can become the oldest person ever accepted into a dance major program in the history of Louisiana, and achieve a 4.0. I would love to show you what I can also do with the challenge of serving as interim mayor. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment